Divorce can be a challenging time for everyone involved, especially the children. How parents handle the situation can greatly impact how children cope with the changes. Here are some helpful tips to minimize the negative effects of divorce on your child:
- Seek Professional Help: It’s normal for children to show emotions like sadness or anger during divorce. If these emotions persist, consider seeking professional support for your child. A pediatrician can guide you on the best course of action.
- Encourage Relationships: Support your child’s relationship with the other parent and be respectful of it. Your child benefits from a healthy bond with both parents.
- Avoid Derogatory Comments: Refrain from making negative comments about the other parent in front of your child. Remember that your child identifies with both parents, and negative remarks can affect their self-perception.
- No Fighting in Front of the Child: Avoid arguments or fights with the other parent in your child’s presence. Create a peaceful environment for them.
- Don’t Use Children as Messengers: Avoid involving your child in communication between you and the other parent. Seek alternative solutions to avoid putting them in the middle.
- Establish a Routine: Children thrive on routine. Stick to a schedule to reduce their anxiety and stress. Provide them with a calendar to know what to expect.
- Keep Promises: Honor the promises you make to your child. Broken promises can intensify feelings of abandonment.
- Respect Privacy: Don’t spy on the other parent through your child. Avoid interrogating them about the other parent’s activities.
- Provide Consistent Discipline: Even if you see your child only on weekends, maintain consistent discipline and leadership. Strike balance with the other parent for a harmonious approach.
- Avoid Putting Children in the Middle: Do not burden your child with adult decisions. Avoid asking them to choose between parents or make tough decisions.
The family law attorneys at Hopper Cummings are well-versed in the impact of divorce on children and the challenges parents face. We are dedicated to finding tailored solutions for the best interest of your child and family. Let us guide you through the process with compassion and skill. Contact us today for a confidential consultation at 919-533-4115 or complete our online form to get started.
CONNECT WITH US
Client and Peer Reviews
Ms. Hopper was patient and detail oriented. ... Overall, the process was efficient, well-organized and painless. If you’re looking for someone to assist with your will and advance directives, we would highly recommend Hopper Cummings.
Seeing that Robert Cummings is going to be my opposing counsel in a family law case means that case is going to be fought fairly, efficiently, and intelligently, without expensive 'lawyer games' or undue delays. I have and will continue to refer cases to him.
My family has used Hopper Cummings for estate planning and wills as well as occasional legal advice. The process was always efficient, respectful, and individualized to our specific needs. This is the benefit of a local firm -- I highly recommend them for any civil law needs!
I refer all family law matters to Robert Cummings because I have confidence in the way he interacts with clients.
My husband and I worked with Marie Cummings and her team to complete our estate planning. This is not an easy task for anyone, and we so appreciated Marie's experience, expertise, patience, and support. ... We are happy to offer a wholehearted recommendation for Marie and her colleagues.
I came to Mr. Cummings during the most difficult time of my life. He helped me navigate the divorce process in a no-nonsense way. ... His voice of reason helped me to stay calm and focused on the task at hand. I highly recommend Mr. Cummings to anyone in my position.
Robert Cummings provides a firm, steady and calming approach to custody issues.
Robert is a highly effective attorney. I have referred several people to him and have heard nothing but positive experiences. He understands the law and cares about his clients.
We have worked with Hopper Cummings on several occasions, from estate planning to starting a 501(c)(4). They are welcoming and responsive. They explain things in easy-to-understand terms and set reasonable expectations. We highly recommend Hopper Cummings!
Robert Cummings represented a family member in a moving violation. He was responsive to all of my questions and very professional in explaining how the system worked and what needed to be done to help resolve the ticket with the best possible outcome. I would recommend his office and their services.
Robert and his team were amazing ... was successfully able to move the court date forward and have the ticket resolved and diligently e-mailed us all the confirmations as well. Thank you to his team and we would highly recommend them.
Robert understands traffic law and he is a very effective advocate for his clients. I have referred several clients to Robert and he always does a great job.
They made it easy and effortless for dealing with traffic court! I appreciate you all. Great communication too.
Great experience! I received my first moving violation in about 20 yrs .... called Hopper Cummings for assistance. The process from first contact to resolution went smoothly. Highly recommend!
Excellent Family Law Attorney.
Awesome lawyer worked hard to get the best outcome for me on a very complicated case. I would recommend Robert Cummings, he cared about my case and represented me very well. Would use him again.
Robert is an experienced, thoughtful and professional attorney. He exhibits the highest standards in his practice.
Robert was quick to return my call, even on a day he was in court. He was knowledgeable and friendly as was his staff. His honesty and hard work is definitely an asset.
Robert does a great job managing a large traffic law caseload yet representing each client zealously. He understands the local procedure for a large traffic caseload and navigates that system with ease.
Robert Cummings is an excellent attorney with a high level of integrity and compassion.